- Central Location
- Close to Amenities
THE BUILDING No.40 comprises two buildings linked by a glazed walkway. The front building is listed Grade II and was built around 1670 and is currently occupied as offices and A2 on the Lower Ground, Ground and the First Floor, with a self-contained, 1/2 bed maisonette on the second and third floors.
The property is of brick construction, under a pitched tiled roof and benefits from central heating, with many period features retained, including much of the original panelling, fireplaces, cornices etc and full width vault under the pavement, providing useful storage.
The rear building was constructed in the mid 1980's on three floors, being steel framed, and having part-pitched slate roof and part flat asphalt. It is self-contained, having its own central heating system and full width terrace on the first floor and small patios at ground level, which provide space for bicycles. There are kitchen units on each floor and plumbing for a shower on the ground floor.
LOCATION Great Smith Street lies immediately to the West of Parliament Square and Broad Sanctuary and links Victoria Street with Marsham Street. It is located in the heart of Westminster's cultural, government and business district, being just a few minutes walk from the Houses of Parliament.
No.40 itself is located on the west side of Great Smith Street, close to its junction with Marsham Street. Situated in a thriving commercial, residential and leisure hub, which has witnessed extensive regeneration including Nova, Cardinal Place and Buckingham Green developments, which will shortly be followed
by the luxury residential led, mixed-use scheme, The Broadway, a few minutes from the property.
PLANNING No. 40 is Grade II Listed and located within the CAZ (Core Central Activities Zone) and the Westminster Abbey and Parliament Square Conservation Area. Together with Nos. 36 and 38 Great Smith Street, No. 40 comprised the first speculative terraced house built in London. In the early 1900's, the lower ground and ground floors were used as a café/restaurant with residential above. After World War II, the ground floor was occupied as an Estate Agency (A2) and associated offices and this use continues until the present day.
Permission was granted for the erection of a three-storey office building in what was the rear garden in 1984. On the 30th July 1998 (Ref: 982898), permission was granted for a maisonette on second and third floors and a flat on the first floor, which has been partially implemented.
Property information from this agent
See more properties like this: