- A beautifully renovated period farmhouse
- Pretty rural situation only 5 miles from the city centre
- Beautiful gardens and grounds with outbuilding
- Detached annexe* with planning permission for a separate dwelling
- Four bedrooms
- Twp bathrooms
- Three reception rooms
- Stunning open plan kitchen extension
- Laundry/boot room
- EPC Exempt
Little Waltham Church of England Voluntary Aided Primary School (1.1mi.)
The Belsteads School (1.3mi.)
New Hall School (1.9mi.)
A Grade II listed 17th century farmhouse with detached annexe*, set in an acre only 5 miles from Chelmsford city centre.
Park & Ride: 1.5 miles; Chelmsford station: 6 miles (Liverpool Street from 34 minutes); A12 (junction 19): 5.3 miles; A120: 7 miles; Stansted Airport: 15 miles; M25: 19 miles. All distances approximate.
Spartigans Hall, which is coming to the market for the first time in 60 years, is situated within 5 miles of Chelmsford city centre and its mainline station into London Liverpool Street.
Chelmsford was awarded city status in 2012 and offers easy access to the A12, a wide variety of leisure facilities and a bustling shopping centre.
Spartigans Hall is within the catchment for KEGS and Chelmsford County High School for Girls and within a short drive of St John Payne, Felsted and New Hall Schools.
The property is situated on the east side of Little Waltham Road and occupies an acre plot with beautiful views over the surrounding countryside. The house, which is Grade II listed and has been the subject of a full ground-up restoration, sits back from a quiet and peaceful lane and has attractive, rendered elevations complemented by a red tiled roof. A quote from the listing states "Early C17 2 bay end chimneystack house, extended by one bay in the C18 when also a lower kitchen. L wing was added with C19 extension to rear."
The interior of the house is light and airy and all the principal rooms enjoy the benefit of the surrounding views. The hall, which has a vaulted ceiling, a tiled floor and a staircase rising to the first floor, provides access to all the reception rooms, the kitchen extension and a downstairs bathroom. This accommodation includes a small reception room at the front of the house (currently used as a study), a well-proportioned drawing room with an impressive open fireplace and a dining room, which has its own open fireplace and would also work well as a sitting room. The breakfast room, which adjoins the kitchen and is part of a modern extension added in 2019, is a really comfortable living space with an impressive vaulted ceiling, full length windows allowing full benefit of the views over the garden and grounds, and access through to a rear hall and laundry/boot room (both of which also form part of the recent extension). The kitchen itself has a wealth of character and has been finished to a high specification, with a good range of bespoke units with granite and wooden work surfaces, an AGA and built-in appliances, while the adjacent laundry boot room provides additional space and plumbing for for integral appliances.
The accommodation on the first floor is equally light and airy, with some exposed beams. All four bedrooms (one with en-suite shower room) enjoy views to the front and rear of the property.
The wide gravel drive sweeps by the front of the house. The grounds have been beautifully landscaped to create a picturesque cottage garden with a duck pond and are enclosed on all sides by post and rail fencing and mature hedgerows. A large sheltered terrace behind the house gives on to the substantial rear garden, which is laid to lawn and dotted with specimen trees and shrubs.
* Towards the rear of the plot, and discreetly tucked away behind more mature planting, are two reasonably substantial detached single storey outbuildings. One of these buildings is used for storage and the other was converted into an open plan annexe incorporating a kitchen, shower room and living area/bedroom. In 2018 the owners of Spartigans Hall obtained planning consent (Ref. 18/02099/FUL) for this annexe to become a separate dwelling in its own right (subject to satisfying the necessary conditions). If this were followed through, access to the building would be via a spur leading off the driveway serving the main house and it would sit in about 0.18 acres adjoining open fields. Further details available on request. Planning permission also exists for the erection of a three-bay cart lodge.
Acreage: 1 Acres
From Chelmsford, proceed north on the A130 (Essex Regiment Way). Continue to the fifth roundabout (beyond the Park and Ride), and turn right into Wheelers Hill bearing first left into Leighs Road. Continue for about half a mile (keeping left at the first fork in the road) where the property will be found on your left hand side.
Postcode: CM3 3NA
Property information from this agent
See more properties like this: