- Large reception hall
- 3 Reception rooms and study
- Kitchen/breakfast room
- Master bedroom suite
- 4 Further bedrooms, 1 en suite
- 3 Bathrooms
- Small apartment with kitchen, sitting room, en suite bedroom
- In all 7,825 SqFt
- Large greenhouse, garages, stables & outbuildings
- Fishing on River Nairn
Croy Primary School (0.9mi.)
Cawdor Primary School (3.1mi.)
Cantray House is a delightful country property situated in a peaceful position in grounds extending to approximately 9.8 acres and includes over 0.5km of the River Nairn, which provides good sea trout and salmon fishing. A significant and historic home, it has been restored sympathetically to its original style and is arranged over three floors providing wonderful and easily managed well-proportioned accommodation. The house is approached by an imposing gated driveway which passes a range of garages and stables ending up at the front door. The interior of the property is impressive, full of character and blending contemporary design with an abundance of period features. Many of the bedrooms are themed in a Scots and French style and there is a large modern style kitchen and attractively appointed bathrooms. A number of the rooms are dual aspect creating a bright and airy living space.
The accommodation is generously proportioned and the ground floor accommodation includes entrance vestibule and cloakroom, large reception hall off which leads to three reception rooms, a superb modern kitchen, breakfast room, larder, butler's pantry, laundry/utility room, gunroom and wine store with a large safe. There is a comprehensive security alarm throughout the house. On the first floor there are five bedrooms, two en suites, dressing room, and three further bathrooms. The upper floor has a large games room, and comprises a small flat with a kitchen area, sitting room and bedroom with en suite.
Records show that there was a Baron of Cantray living there as early as 1442 at which time the estate covered some 25% of the County of Nairnshire. The first owners of Cantray were still living at the house during the period of the Jacobite Rebellion some 300-years later and the then owner's son, Bonnie Jamie Dallas, died on the battlefield of Culloden just four miles from the house.
The house and estate remained with the Dallas family until it was sold to the Chief of the Clan Davidson around 1787 in whose possession it remained until 1935. During its history the house and estate has been owned by only six different families. Sadly, the original house was burned down in 1921 but much of the artefacts and items were saved and are incorporated into the current Scottish Palladian architecture of Cantray today which was built in 1926.
Cantray House is a truly stunning property with a southerly aspect set in a peaceful and beautiful rural area yet convenient for Inverness and the Airport which is just 4 miles away. The surrounding area boasts a number of designated cycle routes as well as numerous forest trails and moorland paths for walkers.
In the nearby conservation village of Cawdor, as well as the famous Cawdor Castle, there is a pub/restaurant, church and a primary school served by school bus. Nairn which is around 8 miles away is known for its dry and sunny climate and sandy beaches. The town also has a sports centre, tennis club, swimming pool, riding centre and cricket pitch. The harbour is home to a small fishing fleet, marina and sailing club.
In addition to the two Nairn championship golf courses, there are superb links courses at Castle Stuart Golf Club and Royal Dornoch as well as a multitude of parkland courses within easy reach. There is salmon fishing on the Rivers Nairn, Findhorn and Spey and shooting is readily available on local estates. The beautiful Spey Valley with its Whisky Trail and the ski slopes at the Cairngorms and The Lecht are all within easy driving distance.
Inverness provides a range of retail parks and supermarkets as well as many entertainments, cultural and medical facilities expected of the Highland Capital. Inverness Airport has regular daily flights to London, Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol and other European destinations.
The garden and grounds have been well laid out and are particularly attractive at different times of the year with large areas of specimen mature trees, rhododendrons, azalea and rare herbaceous plants. The gardens and policies cover approximately 9.8 acres and have a large modern greenhouse, garages, stables and outbuildings, sun terrace and storage sheds. There is over 0.5 kilometre of the River Nairn owned by the property for sea trout and salmon fishing from a number of pools.
Property information from this agent
See more properties like this: