- Tenure: Freehold
- CLOSING DATE WEDNESDAY 26 JUNE 12 NOON
- Productive block of arable land
- Extensive livestock buildings
- Class 3(2) land
- EPC Exempt
CLOSING DATE WEDNESDAY 26 JUNE 12 NOON
Productive 209 acre arable farm on the Aberdeenshire/Angus border
Hospital Shields Farm is situated northwest of St Cyrus, on Aberdeenshire's southeastern coastal border with Angus, an area well known for high quality, productive agriculture. With its fertile land and proximity to a variety of grain and potato merchants, agricultural dealers and a successful machinery ring, Hospital Shields Farm is enviably located within a region recognised nationally for its agricultural credentials.
The property offers both those wishing to expand their existing holding and those seeking to establish themselves in the industry with an ideal opportunity to obtain an equipped, viable holding that benefits from the area's recognised agricultural quality and supporting infrastructure. The property is accessible from many major hubs such as Montrose (8 miles) and Dundee (36 miles) to the south and Aberdeen (34 miles) to the north. Journey times to Aberdeen have recently been much reduced by the opening of the Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route. There is a mainline railway station at Montrose, with regular services to Aberdeen and the south, including a sleeper service. Aberdeen Airport (35 miles) has a range of domestic and European flights. Edinburgh Airport (92 miles) is also within easy reach, and there are direct services from Dundee to London Stansted. Aside from its agricultural attributes, the region boasts a diverse range of recreational and sporting opportunities: from local golf courses, the renowned fishing rivers of North and South Esk, shooting on local estates and its proximity to the Angus Glens which have some of the best hill walking in eastern Scotland, together with skiing at Glenshee in winter and sandy beaches. Shopping, business and banking services are found in Montrose and Stonehaven (18 miles).
Hospital Shields Farm is a highly accessible, productive farm extending to 209.79 acres (84.90 hectares) of equipped predominately arable land across six ring fenced fields, all of a suitable size for the efficient operation of modern machinery and benefitting from a convenient network of quiet public roads allowing for ease of access to all fields. The extensive range of farm buildings provide livestock housing with a capacity adequate both for the immediate holding and sufficient to complement the needs of additional land elsewhere. The land has been farmed in hand, with recent rotations including cereal crops, seed potatoes, peas and, on occasion, broccoli.
As per the sales plan, please note that the wind turbine and area of grass immediately surrounding it are excluded from the sale. The wind turbine site is leased and will be retained by the seller.
Hospital Shields Farm is well equipped with a range of modern and traditional buildings, all being Atcosts sheds, providing storage for a variety of purposes. The farmyard benefits from a borehole water supply.
The approximate dimensions and construction are as follows:
1. Slatted Courts (11.83m x 36.32m). Concrete frame with block walls and corrugated cement roof with ventilated profile sheeted sides and a central 4.2m feed passage. Currently sectioned into eight pens.
2. Cattle Court (8.67m x 36.37m). Concrete frame with block walls, concrete floor and corrugated cement roof with a central feed passage.
3. Feed Store (14.60m x 36.35m). Concrete frame with a concrete floor and corrugated cement roof. Together with a Farm King Mixer.
4. Dual Purpose Court, sectioned into a court (8.70m x 13.57m) and a drier area (8.70m x 22.80m). Concrete frame with block walls, concrete floor and corrugated cement roof.
5. Garage (4.15m x 8.80m) and Store (4.15m x 2.90m). Concrete block wall frame, concrete floor and corrugated cement roof.
6. Cattle Court (20.46m x 27.23m). Concrete frame with block walls, with corrugated cement sheeted sides and roofing and an adjoining feed lean-to (10.62m x 9.84m).
7. Lean-to (9.30m x 27.23m). Open sided straw store with a concrete frame and hard-core flooring. Adjoining the southern elevation of the cattle court (building no. 6).
In addition there are two former silage pits and hardstanding areas.
THE LAND AT HOSPITAL SHIELDS FARM
In total, the land extends to some 203.66 acres (82.42 ha) of arable (183.77 acres (74.37 ha)) and grassland (18.85 acres (7.63 ha)), with the remainder consisting of internal farm tracks, verges and ditches. The land ranges from 118m to 212m above sea level. According to the James Hutton Institute for Soil Research, the majority of the land is classified as Class 3(2), with the remainder being Class 4(2). The soils are of the Stonehaven and Mountboy series, both derived from old red sandstone with component soil types being brown forests and gleys and both with a sandy silt topsoil and subsoils of a clayey loam.
Acreage: 209.79 Acres
On leaving St Cyrus on the southbound carriageway of the A92 take the second right hand public road (signposted Laurencekirk). Continue along this road, through the crossroads, for approximately 2.5 miles until arriving at the property, with Hospital Shields Farm buildings on the left hand side. The farmyard is accessed along a concrete farm track immediately adjacent to the buildings.
Property information from this agent
See more properties like this: