- Reception Hall/Cloakroom
- Drawing Room, Dining Room
- Kitchen/Breakfast Room, Larder
- Sitting Room, Rear Hall
- Utility Room, Cloakroom, Boiler Room
- Principal Bedroom with Dressing Room
- 3 further Bedrooms, 2 Bathrooms
- Study, Balcony
- Double Garage, Attached Single Garage, Carport
- Summer House, Mature Gardens
Billesdon Church of England Primary School (1.8mi.)
Houghton-on-the-Hill Church of England Primary School (1.9mi.)
Great Glen St Cuthbert's Church of England Primary School (2.6mi.)
Carrygate stands on the edge of the village of Gaulby which is a picturesque village, located in the South East Leicestershire countryside. The village is some nine miles from Leicester providing convenient access to the city, which has extensive business, leisure, everyday amenities and educational facilities. The town of Market Harborough offers a good array of shopping and leisure facilities, together with a growing commercial centre. The Rutland town of Uppingham is to the east and Oakham to the north east.
The main A47 trunk road connects Leicester with Peterborough. By rail, London St Pancras International can be reached from Market Harborough and Leicester in about an hour. There is good access to the east midlands extensive road network, including the A1, M1, A14, M69 and M6. Educational establishments are excellent with preparatory at Great Glen, Uppingham, Leicester, Oakham and Maidwell, whilst secondary is available at Great Glen, Uppingham, Oakham, Leicester, Rugby, Oundle and Stamford.
The area is well known for its sporting and recreational activities with public footpaths and bridleways across open countryside. Golf is at Leicester and Market Harborough. Water sports including sailing and fishing on Rutland Water near Oakham and fishing on Eyebrook Reservoir near Uppingham.
Commissioned in the 1930s by Sir Charles Keene, and built to plans prepared by the celebrated Modernist architect Raymond McGrath, Carrygate was built in 1938 in reclaimed 16th Century brick, with elm weatherboarding. The house is designed in such a way that the primary accommodation is positioned to integrate with the surrounding landscape, having large timber framed picture windows, creating an abundance of light into the reception rooms, study and master bedroom.
The curving walls to the south west allow light to flood into the drawing room, with views over the landscaped gardens and beyond to Kings Norton church, beautifully framing spectacular sunsets. Original features can be found throughout, from the custom built curved shelving to either side of the drawing room fireplace, the Tasmanian silk wood in the dining room, bookcases and cupboards of walnut in the study, the sculptural staircase and ‘portholes’.
The accommodation is very well presented. The main reception hall leads to the curved drawing room with an open fireplace and windows overlooking the gardens and the south westerly views. There is a well-equipped kitchen/ breakfast room next to the dining room both rooms having views over the front and back gardens. There is also a sunny sitting room with feature fireplace and custom built shelving. From the reception hall the sweeping curved staircase rises to the first floor atrium, bathroom and fabulous study with balcony. Off the feature landing, which spans the majority of the length of the house, are three well sized bedrooms, overlooking a balcony with views into the private front gardens. The principal bedroom, which enjoys extensive views to the South, with dressing room, and adjacent bathroom, is set to the far end of the landing, with a secondary staircase leading down to the rear hall giving access to a large utility room and cloakroom.
TO THE OUTSIDE
Approached via a sweeping drive, Carrygate offers ample parking in front of a double garage, with an additional attached garage and car port adjacent to the main house. The gardens, which extend to some 1.9 acres, are landscaped, mostly lawned, with sunny terraced areas spanning the majority of the rear of the property, taking full advantage of the south westerly view. Patio doors from the drawing room open onto the terrace, with a formal pond casting dappled light into the room when the sun catches the surface of the water. The views are far reaching and uninterrupted, over a ha-ha across the open countryside of South West Leicestershire.
Within the grounds stands a timber summerhouse, positioned to catch the afternoon sun, surrounded by mature specimen trees, herbaceous borders and shrubs interspersing the gardens. To the south-east boundary, a paddock extends to 2.5 acres, with timber stables and turning out area. The paddock has its own roadside access, with electric and water on site.
Market Harborough 10 miles (London St Pancras International) Leicester 9 miles (London St Pancras International), Uppingham 14 miles
The property may only be inspected by prior appointment through King West’s offices, telephone[use Contact Agent Button].
AGENTS NOTE: Please note that artworks and sculptures in the grounds are not included in sale.
King West, their joint Agents (if any) and clients give notice that:
1. These property particulars should not be regarded as an offer, or contract or part of one. You should not rely on any statements by King West in the particulars, or by word of mouth or in writing as being factually accurate about the property, nor its condition or its value. We have no authority to make any representations or warranties in relation to the property either here or elsewhere and accordingly any information given is entirely without responsibility.
2. The photographs illustrate parts of the property as were apparent at the time they were taken. Any areas, measurements or distances are approximate only.
3. Any reference to the use or alterations of any part of the property does not imply that the necessary planning, building regulations or other consents have been obtained. It is the responsibility of a purchaser or lessee to confirm that these have been dealt with properly and that all information is correct.
4. King West have not tested any services, equipment or facilities, the buyer or lessee must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise.
5. MONEY LAUNDERING REGULATIONS: Intending purchasers will be asked to produce satisfactory proof of their identification and address at the point any sale is agreed in order to comply with The Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing and Transfer of Funds (Information on the Payer) Regulations 2017. King West asks for your co-operation in this regard.
Property information from this agent
See more properties like this: