An elegant Edwardian home centrally positioned in beautiful grounds of some 2.8 acres
Entrance Hall, 3 Reception Rooms, Kitchen/Breakfast Room, Utility Room, Cloakroom, Wine Cellar, 5 Bedrooms, Study, 3 Bath/Shower Rooms, Glass House Indoor Swimming Pool, Coach House, Double Car Port, About 2.8 Acres
Underhill is a fine example of Edwardian architecture offering light and beautifully presented accommodation, sympathetically refurbished by the current owners.
It is considered there is scope for expansion if desired, evidenced by the fact that planning permission has previously been granted for extensions (now lapsed) and the similar neighbouring property has successfully extended significantly.
The grounds are a particularly attractive feature of the property with the house set back over 50m from the lane, well screened with mature trees and accessed via a gated carriage driveway. The gardens provide expanses of lawn as well as an orchard and kitchen garden and various terraces for sitting/dining.
Set within the grounds are outbuildings including a coach house, double car port and a most impressive glass house indoor swimming pool complex.
- High ceilings and tall windows flooding the home with natural light and creating a real feeling of space.
- Feature period open fireplaces in the three principal reception rooms creating a cosy environment in the winter evenings.
- High skirting boards, decorative coving and some picture/dado rails.
- Beautifully appointed, traditionally designed kitchen with granite worktops arranged around a central island with electric AGA and undermount butler style sink. Integrated appliances include a microwave, fan oven, electric 2 ring hob (additional to AGA), dishwasher and an American style fridge freezer. The kitchen also benefits from pull-out larder cupboards, pan drawers, filter water tap and a breakfast bar. The breakfast area has a matching dresser unit and fitted corner box seat.
- Excellent use of adjustable lighting including a mixture of ceiling, wall and table lamp circuits.
- Concealed wine cellar beneath the dining room.
- Quality white bathroom suites.
- Lovely views over the gardens and, through the tree line to the south, the fields beyond.
The property occupies a generous, private plot of just under 2.8 acres in an elevated position on the North Downs, just above Westerham. The area is designated as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and is within the greenbelt. There are some wonderful walks available including the North Downs Way, which is accessed just a short way up Westerham Hill from the property.
The historic market town of Westerham lays in the Darent Valley, about 1.5 miles down the hill from the property. It offers an excellent selection of local shops, cafes and restaurants. Biggin Hill (2.6 miles) and Oxted (4 miles) both have Waitrose supermarkets.
Oxted station (about 4.2 miles) serves London Bridge/Victoria, and Sevenoaks Station (about 6.5 miles) serves London Charing Cross/Cannon Street. Both with journey times of about 30 - 40 minutes to London.
There are a good number of schools locally including Primary Schools at Tatsfield, Westerham, Cudham and Oxted. Secondary Schools include Valence School (Westerham), Charles Darwin School (Biggin Hill), Knole Academy (Sevenoaks) and Oxted School. St Olave's Grammar for Boys and Newstead Wood for Girls (Orpington). Radnor House (Sundridge) and Woldingham for Girls as well as Sevenoaks Public School.
Leisure facilities include golf courses at Westerham, Limpsfield Chart and Park Wood Golf Club, being only 1.6 miles from the property. Tandridge Leisure Centre.
The M25 is easily accessible at junction 5 or 6, providing access to the motorway network, Gatwick, Heathrow and Stansted International Airports, Bluewater, the Channel Tunnel Terminus, and Ebbsfleet International.
From Westerham, take London Road (by Costa coffee) North out of the town. When you reach a roundabout take the first exit towards Biggin Hill/Bromley. After about 3/4 of a mile turn left onto Pilgrims Way by Betsoms Farm. The entrance to Underhill will be found on the right-hand side after about a third of a mile.
- Services: Oil fired central heating plus open fires, electric AGA and underfloor heating in the kitchen. Mains water and electricity. Private treatment plant drainage.
- Local Authority: Sevenoaks District Council,[use Contact Agent Button]
- Council Tax band (2018/19): H
- Fixtures and fittings are excluded from the sale but may be available by separate negotiation.
Edwardian detached house of 4,171 sq ft
About 2.8 Acres
Indoor swimming pool complex
Property information from this agent
See more properties like this: