- Dating Back 1710
- Grade II Listed Residence
- A Lovely Historic Property
- Many Fine Original Features
- Large Family Accommodation
- Garage and Good Parking
- Large Family Garden
- Potential To Be Five Double Bedrooms
- In the Old Norton area known as 'Chantreyland'
The Old Rectory, Norton with stunning period features.
A historic Grade II Listed Old Rectory, dating back to 1710 with later additions and having lovely extensive grounds, garage and good parking. Retaining some stunning, original features and an internal inspection is an absolute must. Large reception hall, breakfast kitchen, dining room, drawing room with access to garden. First floor: two double bedrooms, bathroom, large master bedroom with en-suite bathroom. Second floor: two large attic bedrooms and a large store room. Basement: extensive cellars. Outside: Garage and parking, front garden area and large formal, private garden.
Norton is a delightful residential area with close proximity to Graves Park and within easy reach of the stunning Peak District National Park. Close to nearby recreational facilities including Beauchief Golf Course, Graves Leisure Centre and Abbeydale Sports Club and convenient for nearby supermarkets, cafes and restaurants. Good public transport and road access with the Sheffield ring road giving access to the city centre and motorway network.
The Accommodation Comprises - Entrance door opens into
Long Reception Hall - A lovely, long, broad reception area with central heating radiator and double doors opening to
Inner Hall -
Cloakroom - With low flush WC and wash hand basin.
Dining Room - With front facing Georgian style glazed window with lovely aspect over to the church. The room is three quarters oak panelled and has an attractive feature fireplace and two storage cupboards to either alcove. Central heating radiator.
Breakfast Kitchen - Well fitted out with a good range of base and wall units, work surfaces and sink unit. Cooker point and plumbing and space for washing machine and dishwasher. Two rear facing windows with aspect over the rear garden. Original floor to ceiling tall pantry storage cupboards. Panelled door leading to
Rear Entrance Lobby - With rear window, external door and stone flagged floor. Also housing the wall mounted gas fired central heating boiler. Stone steps giving access down to the BASEMENT CELLARS.
From the inner hall, small flight of stairs lead up to a
Half Landing - With side facing window overlooking the garden.
Drawing Room - A spectacular room, originally being the library. A most impressive ceiling with ornate plasterwork believed to have been executed by the firm of Joseph Rose & Sons and ornate wall moulding and a medallion portrait of Sir Francis Chantrey by Heffernan who was with Chantrey as an assistant for 30 years, and the coat of arms above of Cavendish Nevile who built part of The Old Rectory. Feature fire surround and external French window leading out to the magnificent rear garden. Two deep side facing Georgian style glazed windows, again with lovely aspect over the rear garden. Extensive range of book/display shelves set to one wall and useful storage cupboard with original old period lock and key. Two central heating radiators.
Staircase rises from the half landing up to the
Broad Half Landing - With central heating radiator.
Bedroom 2 - A rear facing double bedroom with two windows and central heating radiator.
Bedroom 3 - A front facing double bedroom with feature fireplace, recess cupboard and central heating radiator.
Bathroom - With full suite comprising bath, wash hand basin, WC and shower cubicle. Front facing window and central heating radiator/towel rail.
Small flight of stairs leading up to
Small Landing -
Master Bedroom - A very large double bedroom with side and rear facing windows, feature original fireplace and central heating radiator.
En-Suite Bathroom - With full suite in white comprising panelled bath, wash hand basin, low flush WC and corner shower cubicle with Triton electric shower. Central heating radiator/towel rail.
A further staircase leading up to the second floor and access to
Attic Bedroom 1 - A lovely, large feature room with exposed oak purlins and roof trusses with feature front facing oval window looking over to the church. Panelled door opening into
Attic Bedroom 2 - With Georgian style sash window and with further feature exposed oak beams.
Store Room - With double glazed Velux roof light and exposed oak timbers.
Outside - To the front, wrought iron pedestrian gate and pathway leading to the front door. To either side, attractive landscaped grounds which are shared. Steps to the left, lead round to a large, attractive, private landscaped garden with patio/terrace, range of borders with box hedging surround, a variety of fruit trees, lawned areas and vegetable patch and soft fruit area.
Access to the rear to a range of
Basement Cellars - Some of which are arched and with original keeping bins for wine and providing good storage. The main cellar which was the original brew cellar has the original mash tub in the corner.
Original stone staircase leading up to the rear entrance lobby.
Parking - Accessed from Norton Lane next to the monument, security entrance gates open into a courtyard and the garage to the right hand side and a parking space in front of this and also further parking to the right.
General Remarks - The property is believed to have originally been built in 1710 and was always a vicarage and the current owners drawing room was the parish library. The locality is famous for the Sheffield sculptor and artist Sir Francis Chantrey who was born at the nearby Jordanthorpe Farm on 7 April 1781. Sir Francis Chantrey became the leading sculptor of the Regency era and was famous for many commissioned sculptures he did of 'Four Living Monarchs' and other masterpieces. Sir Francis Chantrey is buried in the churchyard, opposite at St James Church. The Old Norton area contains the ancient properties which became known as 'Chantreyland' of which The Old Rectory is one.
Sat Nav Post Code - Please enter S8 8GZ into your Sat Nav to locate this property which can be found off Norton Lane, by the Chantrey Monument.
Valuer/Negotiator - James Mee/Louise Downs/sw.
Viewing - Strictly by appointment through our Banner Cross office.
Property information from this agent
See more properties like this: