- Architecturally and historically significant
- Peaceful rural setting
- Accessible to Norwich and Wymondham
- 11.26 acres
- River frontage
- EPC Exempt
A magnificent Grade I Tudor country house set in about 11.26 acres with River frontage
The Old Hall stands in a peaceful, rural position surrounded by farm land yet only 10 miles to the southwest of Norwich, the Cathedral City and regional centre of East Anglia. Norwich has excellent shopping and facilities together with cultural and leisure activities for most tastes. There is a mainline railway station with regular trains to London Liverpool Street and an approximate journey time of 1 hour 50 minutes. The airport to the north of the city has regular flights to the UK, Europe and beyond with most destinations available via Schiphol. The town of Wymondham, famous for its abbey, is 5 miles. There is a golf course nearby at Barnham Broom and there are excellent schools in Norwich itself as well as Wymondham College 4 miles. Holt in North Norfolk, is renowned as the home of Gresham’s Public School and Beeston Hall Preparatory School is situated near Sheringham on the North Norfolk Coast. Langley Preparatory School is situated just to the west of Norwich at Taverham and Langley Park School nearby at Loddon. The village of Barnham Broom retains an active village shop and post office, a well regarded village school, pub and other amenities.
A magnificent Grade I Tudor manor house set in extensive grounds with frontage to the River Yare. The house has a fascinating history and was built in 1514 by Sir Edward Chamberlayne, who accompanied Henry VIII to The Field of the Cloth of Gold. The house was remodelled in 1614 by Edward Chamberlayne and it was at this time that the magnificent plasterwork ceiling in the Great Chamber, currently the drawing room, was installed. In 1663 the house was sold to Sir Philip Woodhouse of Kimberley and remained part of the Kimberley Estate until 1923, consequently the architectural integrity of the house has remained remarkably preserved over the centuries with Tudor wall paintings and oak carvings remaining.
The house is constructed of mellow diapered brick and lies at the bottom of the shallow valley of the River Yare with meadowland extending beyond the gardens with extensive frontage to the river. There is a spring fed moat which creates a delightful feature in the gardens around the house.
A significant restoration was carried out in the 1960s and the property was featured in an article in Country Life at the time. The current owners acquired the house in 1977 and have acquired more land to preserve the setting of the house together with the acquisition of land down to the river and the creation of an arboretum. Various improvements have been made over the years including some rewiring, upgrading of plumbing and also the restoration of the large arched 16th century window in the dining room. The house has been a much loved family home over the last 41 years but could now benefit from some updating.
From the first half of the 20th century, one of the Lincoln family lived here, the Lincoln family came from nearby Hingham and are believed to be related to the United States President Abraham Lincoln.
The house is approached from the east by a long gravel drive leading off the drive to Old Hall Farm, over which there is a right of access. The drive to The Old Hall is lined by an avenue of trees including pink flowering horse chestnut and oak. The drive finishes with a large gravel sweep at the east front of the house. The drive continues to the north of the house where there is a further large gravelled turning and parking area and where the outbuildings are situated.
The gardens and grounds are a delightful feature of the house and are arranged as follows. To the east and south of the house there is an area of formal lawned garden with well stocked mixed shrub and herbaceous beds and a variety of fine mature trees including copper beech. This is bordered by an area of woodland. To the rear and west of the house there is a large paved terrace with steps leading down to a spring fed moat. To the west of the house there is a meadow, bordered by a strip of woodland and with ample frontage to the River Yare. There are fine views from a circular summer house over the river to meadows and fields beyond. Situated to the southeast there is a further large area put down to grass bordering farmland and an orchard. Continuing to the east an arboretum has been planted by the current owners in memory of John Evelyn, who 1663 published his Sylva, or A Discourse of Forest-Trees. The arboretum contains a mixture of broadleaf trees, in particular oak, walnut, acacia and hornbeam amongst others. The land in all extends to about 11.26 acres.
Mains water, drainage to septic tank, oil fired four oven Aga, some electric storage heaters
South Norfolk District Council
Tax Band - H
Acreage: 11.26 Acres
Leave Norwich on the A47 travelling west and at the roundabout turn left sign posted Mattishall and Honingham. Turn left onto Barnham Broom Road sign posted Barnham Broom 3 miles. Pass Barnham Broom Golf Club on the left hand side and after a short distance the drive to The Old Hall will be found on the right hand side, lined by an avenue of Lime Trees. Fork left onto the drive towards The Old Hall. The postcode is NR9 4DB, but do not rely on sat nav to get you all the way to the entrance of the drive.
See more properties like this: