- Tenure: Freehold
- 'Arts and Crafts style country house
- Enjoying far reaching southerly views to the coast
- 4 reception rooms, 6 bedrooms
- Equestrian facilities, paddocks
- Expansive gardens
- EPC Rating = F
Netherfield CofE Primary School (0.4mi.)
Claverham Community College (2.7mi.)
Dallington Church of England Primary School (2.8mi.)
A delightful 1920s 'Arts & Crafts Style' country house surrounded by park-like grounds with equestrian facilities and far-reaching southerly views over the Southern Downs to the coast
Set in the High Weald, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Darwell Hill is privately nestled on the edge of the village and 0.2 of a mile to the Post Office/General store and 2 Public Houses. The property is about 3.5 miles to the west of the historic town of Battle, where there is a good variety of shops, restaurants, supermarkets and leisure facilities. More comprehensive shopping can be found in Hastings, Eastbourne or Tunbridge Wells.
Mainline rail services: Frequent services run from Robertsbridge, Battle and Etchingham to London Charing Cross, London Waterloo and Cannon Street. Eurostar trains are available from Ashford International.
A high speed train service runs from Ashford to London St Pancras in about 37 minutes.
Education: Excellent opportunities exist within the area in both the private and state sector, at all levels.
Leisure/sporting facilities: There are a number of golf clubs including Rye and Battle. Other sporting facilities include tennis, squash, sailing, fishing and riding nearby.
Communications: The M25 via the A21 can be accessed at J5 and the M20 via J8 both providing links to Gatwick and Heathrow airport and other motorway networks. (M23 and A23 to Gatwick, Heathrow and London).
Occupying an elevated position, Darwell Hill is a fine 'Arts & Crafts style' thatched country house, designed in 1926 by the architect Leslie MacDonald ('Max') Gill for Mr Harold Heal of Heals of London and featured within the 1928 March edition of Country Life magazine. This highly individual home has been sympathetically remodelled by the present owners and whilst retaining a variety of period features now benefits from a lovely 23ft bespoke fitted kitchen/breakfast room with underfloor heating and refitted bath/shower rooms.
• Principal south-facing reception rooms all enjoy lovely vistas over the gardens, grounds and beyond. The drawing and sitting rooms both feature attractive open fireplaces, off the drawing room is an irregular shaped study with door to the garden and a music room. The dining room also has a feature fireplace with built-in period range.
• The excellent kitchen/breakfast room with limestone flags, has an extensive range of bespoke fitted cupboards, walk-in pantry and central island. Appliances comprise an electric 5 oven Total Control Aga, two fridge/freezers, a dishwasher and wine fridge.
• Off the rear hall is a utility room fitted with additional cupboards and an adjoining cold store.
• The master bedroom suite enjoys wonderful far reaching views towards the sea. An suite shower room is fitted with white sanitary ware and there is a dressing area with fitted cupboards.
• Three further bedrooms are served by a stylishly appointed family bathroom.
• Stairs lead to the second floor, where there are two attic bedrooms together with a substantial attic store room.
Garden, Grounds & Outbuildings
• Darwell Hill enjoys a lovely elevated position surrounded by beautifully established gardens and grounds. Electric double gates open to a gravel drive which leads up to the front of the house, where there is an area of parking.
• The extensive grounds are under planted with daffodils and various spring bulbs providing year round colour and interest. A wide array of coniferous and deciduous trees, specimen trees and shrubs include maples, oaks, azaleas and rhododendrons. There is a Walled Garden, an Old Rose Garden and a Sunken Garden partially screened with mature yew. Pretty interconnecting ornamental ponds lead to a series of waterfalls that flow down to a lovely dew pond.
• Various outbuildings comprise a boiler room, an open bay log store, a greenhouse, workshop, tractor shed, stable/machinery store.
• Planning permission was obtained and granted for the stabling together with a triple garage with room over, the latter which has yet to be completed.
• Of further note are the excellent equestrian facilities, which benefit from separate vehicular access.
• A substantial American-style barn incorporates 4 Cheval Liberte stables, 3 enjoying individual turnout areas, a tack room and wash-down area with hot and cold water facilities.
• A bark-chipping track leads from the barn to three fields which are enclosed by hedge and/or post and rail fencing and down to grazing with water connected and a timber field shelter.
• Direct access to unlimited riding trails in Darwell Wood and beyond.
Square Footage: 4967 sq ft
Acreage: 21 Acres
Property information from this agent
See more properties like this: