The Bewdley School (0.8mi.)
Bewdley Primary School (0.9mi.)
St Anne's CofE VC Primary School (0.9mi.)
Exciting Opportunity To Acquire An Historic Grade II* Listed House In Need Of Complete Renovation, Currently Subdivided, With Great Potential STPP. C. 20,000 Sq Ft Inc Outbuildings And 8.15 Acres.
For Sale By Public Auction Tuesday 17th April 2018. At The Crown And Sandys, Ombersley, Worcestershire At 6pm (Subject To Prior Sale And Conditions).
Ribbesford House Is A Fascinating, Atmospheric Grade II* Listed Country House Dating Back To The Mid-16th Century With Later Alterations And Latterly Converted Into Apartments And A Cottage. The Architecture Merits Inclusion In Pevsner's Renowned Guide The Buildings Of England: Worcestershire (1968). The House Is Set Over Three Storeys With Two Octagonal Towers To The Rear And Is Set In Generous Gardens And Grounds Including An Area Of Private Woodland. Together With The Outbuildings, The Property Covers Almost 20,000 Square Feet And Needs To Be Seen To Be Fully Appreciated.
This lot is subject to a Buyer's Premium of 1%
plus VAT of the eventual sale price, payable whether the property is bought on a private treaty or auction basis, and whether pre, during or post auction.
Mileages: Bewdley 1 mile, Heightington 4, Stourport-on-Severn 4, Kidderminster 4.5, Hartlebury 6, Worcester 15, Ludlow 21, Birmingham 23, London 139, M5 Junction 5 14 and M42 Junction 1 17 (all mileages are approximate).
Situation: Ribbesford House enjoys a peaceful setting within the hamlet of Ribbesford, which lies within a conservation area close to the historic town of Bewdley. Ribbesford has a lovely and well attended parish church believed to date back in part to around 1100. The surrounding countryside offers endless footpaths (including the Worcestershire Way) and bridleways through the nearby Ribbesford woods, the Wyre Forest and along the River Severn offering outstanding opportunities for walking, riding and all country pursuits. The pretty riverside town of Bewdley offers excellent individual shopping and leisure facilities whilst regional amenities for commerce and education lie within Worcester, Kidderminster and indeed throughout the West Midlands. Also close by are the West Midlands Safari Park, Severn Valley Railway and Wharton Park Golf Club. The situation offers outstanding rural living yet with facilities just a short distance away.
The estate was first mentioned in written documents by an Anglo-Saxon Charter dated early in the 11th century, which states that it was given by Wulstan, Bishop of Worcester, to his sister; therefore it may be assumed that it was in existence in the 10th century.
During the Danish conquest it was seized by the invading forces but later was regained by the Monks, who held it only for a short time, when it was again captured this time by Turstin, a Fleming.
In 1074 the estate was presented to Ralph de Mortimer in recognition of his services to William of Normandy in his conquest of England. It remained in the Mortimer family for many centuries.
In the early 17th century it passed to Edward Lord Herbert of Cherbury and it was owned by this well famed family for a great number of years. The Herbert coat of arms can still be seen at the property, bearing the family motto Pawb Yn Y Arver. Subsequently a quantity of Sir Henry Herbert's correspondence was discovered in one of the towers, including letters from the Queen of Bohemia, Prince Rupert, Oliver Cromwell, General Fairfax, General Monk, Lord Herbert of Cherbury and George Herbert himself.
Later, and variously connected with Ribbesford, the names of Rudyard Kipling, Edward Burne-Jones, James Lees-Milne, Arthur Winnington-Ingram and Stanley Baldwin occur. During the Second World War Ribbesford was requisitioned and used by British, American and Free French military, Polish and Italian Prisoners of War and was visited by Charles de Gaulle.
In 1947 Wing Commander and Mrs Howell bought the property and converted it into private apartments; as such, it remains in the ownership of the Howell family.
Accommodation: The current floor plans can be seen on page 6 and 7 and the floor plans showing the house in its original layout as one dwelling can be seen on page 8 (not prepared by Andrew Grant LLP). The buildings inside and out have many wonderful features of note, far too many to include in detail but brief highlights of which include:
Internally, original wood panelling, particularly to the Great Hall and Sitting Room; beautiful polished wooden floors; original doors, shutters and sash windows; sturdy oak beams, some of which date back to the 16th century; wonderful high ceilings, ceiling roses and cornicing, and a beautiful and quite unique 19th century curved staircase with decorative balustrades.
Externally, the property is approached through stone pillars with wooden lanterns which would originally have contained stained glass; two octagonal towers flank the entrance on the rear elevation capped by leaded onion domes, and in between lies a balcony supported by engaged fluted Doric columns; there are many fine examples of bay and oriel windows including a superb bay to the sitting room; and even the chimneys are a delight.
The gardens lie awaiting re-discovery by the new owner and previously boasted fine formal gardens with a fountain, rose gardens, a knot garden, ponds, a shrubbery and former tennis court among other wonderful features. The house was originally moated, but the moat was mostly infilled in the late 18th century. Winding paths lead through the gardens and into an area of private woodland, and a bridge remains over the former moat. A terrace edged by balustrading runs all the way along the rear elevation. There are many interesting and very mature trees including bamboo, witch hazel, Irish yew, ash and fig. There is parking for numerous vehicles to the front of the property along with garaging and stables.
In addition to the main accommodation, there is a four bedroomed cottage which is currently let to tenants. The tenancy is due to expire in September 2018.
Property information from this agent
See more properties like this: